Linguistics student, libre-culture & libre-software activist, often writer, sometimes coder
What I do
- I am pursuing a BA in English Language and Literature (currently preparing for my 4th year), and I hope to continue specialising in Linguistics at a Masters level
- I am engaged with Linguistics research above and beyond what's required for a BA student
- I regularly contribute to online and print publications with articles about Linguistics, and political aspects of technology
- I occasionally hack together small libre-software projects, as I am currently teaching myself programming
- My work is always released in the commons, using suitable copyleft licenses such as the GPL and CC-BY-SA
Why I need your help
- I am working two part-time jobs while being a full-time student and a full-time activist: I'd like to afford being able to work less so I can focus on my studies and research more
- Initially I hope I can earn enough donations to pay for my web hosting expenses
- As a mid-term goal, I wish to be able to afford to participate in linguistics conferences and workshops without worrying about how I can pay rent this month
What have I done lately
- Among other articles, I wrote The Data Union: A positive step in the wrong direction, an editorial on a local online magazine
- I coded id3-unicodify.py, a copylefted Python 3 script that tries to autofix audio metadata stored in the wrong encoding
- I created a Cypriot Greek XKB layout and a Cypriot Maronite Arabic XKB layout for GNU/Linux users
- Together with a colleague, we presented a sociolinguistics research project at a conference and on local radio
dkr, a Linguistics student and Free Culture/Free Software advocate from Cyprus.
I'm particularly interested in how language is implemented in the brain, its relation to cognition, and how language varies (or doesn't) across modalities.
I'm a staunch supporter of preserving and enriching knowledge commons, and I believe that freedom-respecting software is an indispensable component of this struggle.
med 28 andre
med 40 andre
med 68 andre
med 90 andre
med 106 andre
med 380 andre
dkr registrerte seg for 2 år siden.